Welcome to the Arduino eclipse plugin site
This page is about a free eclipse plugin to make development of
big Arduino projects easier. As you only need the Arduino IDE, Eclipse
and the plugin this Arduino IDE alternative is completely free and
The plugin supports
- Creation of an Arduino sketch
- Import of an Arduino or private Library
- Import of source code available on your system
- Integrated serial monitor
- Change the Arduino board
- Multiple hardwares (version 2)
- Support for the HalfKay boot loader (version 2)
- Change the COM port
- Upload to the board
- Real time build
- User selected build.
To use it with Arduino boards you only need:
- the Arduino IDE
- Eclipse Indigo or Juno (C/C++ version)
- this plugin
Before continuing Note that :
- The latest version for Arduino IDE 1.X is 188.8.131.52.
- The latest version for Arduino IDE 1.5.x beta is 2.1.1 beta. (use Arduino IDE 1.5.1 1.5.2 or 1.5.5 only!! 1.5.3 and 1.5.4 won't work)
- The previous version for Arduino IDE 1.5.x beta is 184.108.40.206 beta. (use Arduino IDE 1.5.2 only!! 1.5.3 and 1.5.4 won't work)
- V2 comes in a product version. This means you can download and unpack eclipse and the plugin in 1 go.
This is ideal for people who want to have a play around or for people who do not have eclipse installed.
- The plugin now works with the 32 and 64 bit versions of Juno (V2) and indigo(V1) but you are advised to use the same bit version as your arduino.
- The current version works with cpp files only (no pde or ino out of the box).
Therefore the plugin is not compatible with the IDE out of the box. (read a sketch may not compile in the plugin)
Below is a link to instructions on how to keep your plugin developed code Arduino IDE compatible. (read your eclipse project compiles in Arduino)
I use those and I can compile the code between the Arduino IDE and eclipse without changes and defines.
- The plugin and product work native on windows and Linux and OS X.
- For 1.X some special installation instructions on Os X are needed
- For 2.X no special instructions are needed for os x
- There is a serial monitor in this project from 1.2.2 onwards. If you are using an earlier version
or the included serial monitor does not work in your environment: Use the IDE one or any one of your choice
- From 2.1.1 there is a scope functionality
- There is USB search (the Arduino connects through USB) in the tool.
- Read the faq on the link between this tool and the WINAVR eclipse plugin.
- There is no out of the box support for debugging. Read this page on how to debug with the dragon board
debugging using the dragon board
- Brody made a debug configuration in V2.1.1 and I hope for more debugging info from him.
If you would like to support Jantje; buy Jantje an Arduino.
Read my blog if you want to stay up to date on changes.
Installation advice can be found here
Nightly builds of the product can be found here
Installation instructions can be found here
A FAQ can be found here
Instructions on Arduino IDE compatibility are here
Read here how to use the plugin
Watch a video demonstrating creating a project uploading it and the serial monitor.